Monday, April 27, 2015

Online Education Review for Week 15


This class is not my first experience with online courses.  I actually enjoy online classes more because I  don't have to go to a physical classroom with a bunch of other people I don't know.  Please don't take offense to my previous comment though.  I have good reasons for my preference of online classes.  First reason is that I'm an introvert.  I find it harder than some people to "open up" and make friends with people I don't know.  Second, I have a somewhat significant fear of being in a crowded space such as a small room with a bunch of people in it or an elevator too.  It makes my anxiety level increase.  Lastly, I like being able to complete my work in the comfort of my own home and being able to complete the homework, etc on a more flexible schedule.  Most online classes have a deadline for completing homework, etc, but also give you the flexibility to complete the assignments early if desired.

Another major reason I love online classes is because the classes give me the flexibility to work on classwork at any time of the day.  I have four children at home and trying to work my class schedule around their school schedules can be a bit of a challenge at times.  Don't even get me started on how difficult it is to go to classes when you have a house full of sick kids.  It's impossible to attend in-class courses when you have to stay home to tend to the sick children.  Online classes give you the freedom to do work at night when the kids are asleep too.  That way even if the kids are sick, they can still be tended to in-between working on classwork.  

I would also have the freedom to work on my classwork from anywhere there is a computer Internet connection.  I wouldn't be stuck attending a classroom.  If I went on a vacation, I could still work on my classwork from my hotel room because most hotels have free WIFI.  That's just one more way that online classes are considerably more flexible than traditional classroom courses.

I would most definitely take more classes if they were offered online instead of on the campus.  I'd even be willing to pay more to have that choice.  If I were to design a fully online course, I would have the students participate in weekly discussion boards, complete weekly or twice a week assignments, maybe write a paper or two, and/or complete a midterm and final exam online as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment