Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Extra Reading Diary Post for week 12: Nursery Rhymes

The unit I chose for this assignment is Nursery Rhymes.  My favorite was Nursery Rhymes: Charms and Lullabies.  Here is the first one...


(Wikipedia: Rock-a-bye Baby)

HUSH-A-BYE, baby, on the tree top;
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock;
When the bough bends, the cradle will fall;
Down will come baby, bough, cradle, and all.

This lullaby is one of my all time favorites from when I was a child. I also sang this lullaby to my own children when they were little.  Even though it is a lullaby with an awful ending with the cradle and baby falling out of the treetop, little children don't know it has such a sad ending because the song is so catchy.  They don't really pay attention to the words...just the melody.




(Wikipedia: Peter Piper)

PETER PIPER picked a peck of pickled pepper;
A peck of pickled pepper Peter Piper picked;

If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled pepper,
Where's the peck of pickled pepper Peter Piper picked?



This is one of my favorite charms (or tongue twisters) from my childhood. It brings back memories of my other and I in her kitchen saying tongue twisters to see who would mess up first.  Unfortunately for me...my mother won most of the time.  Lol   We would make a game of it every week while I was int he kitchen helping her make dinner.   My mother has since past away (last year), but the memories of all the good times we had from my childhood remain with me.  Choosing this unit about nursery rhymes reminded me of all those good times.  After I became an adult, single mother and moved back in with my parents for a while, we had the same kind of fun with my first daughter as she was growing up as well.


1 comment:

  1. Krista! I love both of these nursery rhymes! Both of these remind me of my childhood because we would play similar tongue twister games. My parents would sing the rock a bye baby songs as well, and another favorite (which may technically not be a nursery rhyme) is "You are my sunshine." Brings back good memories, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete