Monday, April 27, 2015

Gen Ed Review for Week 15


I decided to take this class as one of my upper division Gen. Ed requirements.  The main reasons why I chose this class was because it was about mythology and because it was an online course.  I'm really not convinced that Gen. Ed classes are really necessary to earn a degree in college.  Most of the information in the classes will never be used in the workplace.  I'm a pretty firm believer that Gen. Ed classes should not be required, but offered as optional courses.  With that being said, I do think that some Gen. Ed classes should be required like COMP 1113 and 2113 because everyone will be using writing skills in their future careers.  Math classes should be required up to a certain level such as college algebra.  Unless you're majoring in a Math degree, I just don't see how the more advanced math classes would be helpful in the workplace.  I could go on and on about what I think should be required or not, so I'll just get off my soapbox for now.

For me, the most beneficial part of the Gen. Ed curriculum has been the english classes.  When I first started attending college, I really needed the help with my writing skills because I wasn't that focused on my education when I was in high school.  The least beneficial Gen. Ed classes for me were the Science and History classes.  When I eventually go into my chosen field of being a foster care or adoptions worker, I'm not going to need to know anything I learned in my required Chemistry class or any of the American Federal Government and History classes.

What I will remember most from my Gen. Ed classes are the classes that were most pertinent to my chosen degree field.  The Psychology classes, Sociology classes, English classes, and last but not least the fun classes that I chose as electives (this mythology class).  It has been a pleasure to be in this class.  





No comments:

Post a Comment