Monday, April 27, 2015

College Writing Review for week 15


Since I began college back when I was eighteen or nineteen years old, I have used writing in almost all of my classes.  I have changed majors several times throughout my time in college and in some degrees writing was a major component of the classes I took.  At first, I thought that a degree as a  medical transcriptionist was the field I wanted to pursue.  As a medical transcriptionist, there was a lot of writing required of me.  It turned out to be the wrong choice for me, so I decided to go into deaf interpreting.  Deaf interpreting was as dependent on writing skills, but it also turned out not to be the best fit for me.  After changing my major again to massage therapy, I enjoyed it immensely, but after several years of working in the field I was physically worn down.  There was very minimal writing requirements in the field of massage therapy because it was mostly about hands on training.  Therefore I had to change my major again.  I finally decided what I wanted to do which was acquire a degree in Psychology.  I attended the University of Phoenix at first and I was not pleased with the fact that the classes were completely about writing papers for each assignment in each class.  I wanted some variety, so I decided to transfer to OU and finish my degree there.  So far, the writing requirements at OU have been minimal with the exception of this class.  

Throughout my college career, there have been several classes that have been writing-intensive for me.  Composition 1113 and 2113 were very writing-intensive, as well as, almost all of the classes I took at the University of Phoenix.  The only writing-intensive class I have taken so far at OU has been this Mythology class.  These classes have made me a better writer by making me more familiar with APA and MLA writing formats, proofreading my writing, and keeping me up-to-date on what is considered good writing.  What has been most beneficial about writing for this class is the feedback I receive about each writing assignment I do.  Each person sees different mistakes and/or has suggestions that can help me be a better writer.  The most meaningful writing experience I have had so far in my college career would be this mythology class.  I learned a new skill, blogging, and this class has helped improve my opinion of myself as a writer.  I never really thought of myself as a creative person, or a writer in general, and this class has changed that for me.  A lot of students in this class have liked my work and writing style and that has increased my self-esteem.

I feel that this class would be beneficial for anyone to take while attending OU.  It had definitely helped me to break out of the mindset that I'm not that creative when in all actuality, I AM a creative person who just wasn't believing or allowing myself to be as creative as I can be.  Thanks for this opportunity!







No comments:

Post a Comment