Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Reading Diary B for Week 1: Celtic Fairy Tales

I chose to finish off the Celtic Fairy Tales unit and my favorite story was The Tale of Ivan.  This tale was a similar story to ones I've read in the past where the man goes on a journey to find better work, so that he can better support his family.  He does find work, but also learns quite a few life lessons as well.

As he is applying those life lessons on his way back to his wife, he learns a lot about the people around him and about himself too.  He holds steadfast to what he was informed to do and finally finds his way back to his wife, who is very happy to see him again.

This story also makes me think about my own life and how my husband would do anything he needed to support his family.  He also has very strong beliefs and morals and would have down exactly as the man in this story did on his way home.  The male character in this story reminds me a lot of my husband.  I can also relate to the wife character because I would have been loyal and waited for my husband to return like she did.  I have very high standards and morals as well.

I also like how the family was rewarded for their good deeds in the ending of the story.  The husband not only received his wages for the 3 years he worked for the farmer, but also was rewarded for doing exactly as he was advised to do.  He and his wife ended up living in a nice place and having money to support them.  It makes me think of the saying, "A good deed shall not go unrewarded".  I firmly believe that and try to do a good deed everyday at the minimum.  I love stories with a good moral and a happy ending. 


No comments:

Post a Comment