Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Storybook Favorites

The first storybook I chose was called Desperate Goddesses.  Mythological goddesses fascinate me.  I love to read about goddesses, so this is a very familiar topic for me.  Even though I am more familiar with Greek goddesses, I do love to learn about goddesses from any tales.  The title drew me in and made me want to read about these desperate goddesses.  It also made me wonder why they were so desperate.  The introduction was very interesting to me and I can't wait to read further into her storybook.  Her introduction was written from the perspective of a desperate Japanese goddess.  The layout, pictures and color choice of her storybook post were very nicely chosen because it made it seem more regal and real.  I actually preferred the darker background with the words written in white lettering.  It gave the page a more dramatic effect.  I feel like everything in her storybook post meshed well together and I think I may use the darker background with lighter words for a more dramatic effect as well.

The second storybook that I chose was called Adventures of Aphrodite.  Again, I reiterate that goddesses, and especially Greek goddesses, are one of my favorite topics to read about in my spare time.  The most famous and well-known goddess is Aphrodite...the goddess of love.  The title seemed interesting to me because it made me think I was going to learn about Aphrodite's life adventures and experiences.  I liked reading this introduction because it is quite different and about Aphrodite sharing her life stories from her diary.  I think that is a very unique perspective to take when writing about this goddess.  One thing that really stood out to me was that she chose to center her text and used smaller, more easily read paragraphs in her introduction.  The layout and color choices fit perfectly with her choice of picture.  The image choice was a very classic depiction of Aphrodite standing on a seashell.  The design features that I might use in my storybook are the text centering and smaller paragraphs. 


The third storybook I chose was called Princesses of Japan.  Even though these women are not goddesses, they are very important, powerful women in their culture.  I liked the fact that she wrote her storybook from the perspective of an editor of a magazine.  The title drew me in just because it had the word princesses in it and I wanted to know more about the story.  I thought the introduction was interesting because it gave you just enough information to where you would want to read more about the princesses.  I also liked how it said, "Check back weekly for new updates on this princess". That made me think that I might learn new things about the princess like in a gossip magazine.  The layout was much different than the previous two storybooks that I read.  Each picture had a small paragraph that went with it.  That made it very easy to see and read about each princess.  The pictures were very pleasing to the eye and were all dramatic in color and beauty.  I also thought that the font choice of the main topics were more ornate and went well with the pictures.  I liked the formatting of her storybook...the smaller paragraphs with each picture and the centering of her text when she wrote about each princess individually.  Those would be the qualities that I would most likely incorporate into my storybook post.

Image Information: Bamboo Princess
Web Source: Trevize's Computer

1 comment:

  1. While you have a thing for Greek goddesses, I have a thing for princesses and it's interesting to see how these preferences shaped our choices for favorite storybooks. You did something that I didn't when looking at the storybooks and that was look at the layout. It could just be because the designs of the storybooks that I looked at were so well done that I didn't think about it because the layout was not overpowering the content. You make good points about well-designed storybooks and I will definitely take a good deal of time to consider if the layout of my storybook works well or is hard to read or distracting from the content.

    ReplyDelete