Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Reading Dairy A: Week 3--Saints & Animals Unit

My favorite story from the Saints and Animals unit is the story of Saint Blaise and His Beasts.


The story is about a boy who is born to a wealthy family, but chooses to be something different than the other boys around him.  He loved all animals and wanted to take care of them, as well as, people too.  When he grew up, he studied medicine and chose to heal the sick...wild animals, tame animals, people, etc.  All the animals loved him too because he took care of them with kindness and love in his heart.  He decided to go live in the forest among the animals.  A cave became his home and all the animals came to see him and never disturbed him if he was in prayer.  He had chosen to be a Christian in a time where Christians were not treated kindly.  Once the Christians around him chose him to become their Bishop, the people and animals rejoiced.  But little did the animals know that making his faith known would put him in harms way.  For there was a cruel Emperor ruling over the land and he enjoyed torturing Christians.  Once it became known to the Emperor that Blaise was a Christian, and a highly revered one at that, he sent out his men to find him.  His men found him in his home, the cave in the forest, and were amazed at how the animals treated him.  After they got over their amazement, they captured Blaise and took him to the Emperor's prison.  They tortured him, tried to drown him and finally ended up beheading him at the end of the story.  All of the animals and Christian people were deeply saddened when Blaise was finally killed.

The part I like most about the story is the character, Blaise.  I can relate to him because I love all animals dearly too.  I love where we live in Moore because there is such a wide variety of wild and tame animal life around my home.  I would never harm an animal and neither did Saint Blaise.  My chosen career path is also in the medical field where I can help people.  Blaise chose medicine while I chose Psychology.  They are similar in the chosen field, but he chose to heal the body while I choose to heal the mind.  I also admire Blaise's tenacity to stick to his faith and not waver in his decision.  I feel the same way about sticking to my moral and principles.  Overall, I felt that this story was my favorite and the one story I could relate to the most in the unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment