Monday, January 26, 2015

Mythology-Folklore Topics: Brainstorming

Topic: Cat tales
Comments: I love cats.  They are the most loving and majestic animals on the planet.  Cats are also very independent when they want to be left alone.  I think that there might be several stories throughout history about these wonderful creatures.
Possible Stories: I know there is at least one famous story about a cat named Puss-N-Boots but I'm not sure what other kinds of stories I will find.  I searched the link of past storybooks and found a few stories there.  One story in particular called "The Cat and the Birds" stood out to me for its moral lessen at the end.
Sample Story Comments: The story of "The Cat and the Birds" represents someone who learns a harsh lessen after having their hopes set high on a different outcome.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: The Cat and the Birds
Book Title: "The Cat and the Birds," from Aesop's Fables
Book Author: Translated by Laura Gibbs
Year: 2002

Topic: Evil Cat Tales
Comments: I love cats.  They are the most loving and majestic animals on the planet.  Cats can also be very independent when they want to be left alone.  Since some cats tend to be more unsociable, like feral cats, I'm sure that there would be some stories about cats getting revenge on their owners or people in general.
Possible Stories:  I searched the link of past storybooks and found a few stories there.  One story in particular called "The Bakeneko" stood out to me for its ability to possess magical powers and its revenge quality.  
Sample Story Comments: The story of "The Bakeneko" represents a cat who possesses magical powers and is known for killing humans while they sleep and taking over their bodies.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: The Cat Came Back
Book Title: Bakeneko
Book Author: Wikipedia contributors
Year: Last modified December 2014

Sekien Nkeomata by Toriyama Sekien (2006) Image Source: Wikipedia

Topic: Panther stories
Comments: I liked this story because it was so similar to "Little Red Riding Hood".  Instead of using the wolf character, the story uses a panther (which is a type of cat) as the character who teases and torments the children.
Possible Stories:  I searched the link of past storybooks and found a few stories there.  One story in particular called "The Panther" stood out to me. It was basically a retelling of the classic story "Little Red Riding Hood".
Sample Story Comments: The story of "The Panther" represents a cat who eats some children and their sister and brother want to take revenge on the panther for killing their family members. 
Bibliography Information:
Story title: The Panther
Book title: The Chinese Fairy Tale Book
Book author: R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens
Year: 1921

Topic: Mermaid Roles
Comments: To me, mermaids have always been fascinating creatures ever since I was a little girl.  Most of the stories I've read or movies I've watched about mermaids, they have always saved humans from some sort of peril in the sea.  "The Little Mermaid" is a prime example of this storyline.
Possible Stories:  I searched the link of Sacred Texts and found a story there.  One story in particular called "The Mermaid Wife" stood out to me because she did not chose to live as a human, but was made to be a human.  She longed to go back to the sea and be with her family.  That is the complete opposite ending of "The Little Mermaid".
Sample Story Comments: The story of "The Mermaid Wife" represents a mermaid who is made to become a human and misses being a part of the sea and being with her family there.
Bibliography Information:
Story Title: The Mermaid Wife
Book Title: The Fairy Mythology
Book Author: Thomas Keightley
Year Published: 1870

Mermaid in the Sea
Web Source: Flickr



No comments:

Post a Comment